Sunday, October 30, 2011

Journal 1-4: This Divided Choice


I. In last week's journal, I decided I would look into the art of actually making documentaries. I was wondering if their was possibly a code of ethics that needed to be followed or if there was a rule guideline. I found nothing of the sort, but I did find a study that was done on filmakers (mostly documentary makers) in the United States. It talked about how many documentary makers greatly needed to make boring parts of their films more interesting, such as creating unecessary drama or trying to put a part of a movie to a different viewpoint. What doumentary makers are known for is their way of twisting different scenes to work in their favor. I would really enjoy trying to come up with a completely unbiased documentary, although I'm guessing its virtually impossible.


II. In our last two weeks of class, we've been watching the documentary This Divided State which was created by a couple of students from Brighum Young University in Utah. The documentary, though, was based around some issues involved at Utah Valley State College. All these issues started when the student government decided to bring in Michael Moore to speak at the college. The problem was that Utah is an extremely Republican state. Hince the name, This Divided State. There was extreme amounts of hostility on the campus and even involving those outside of the campus, such as Kay Anderson. I have never seen a bigger hypocrite and a bigger jerk in my life. The directors did a pretty good job of involving both a Republican and Democratic viewpoint on the situation. Another huge factor is that a large majority of the state is Mormon.


In my personal opinion, this is the best documentary we've watched in class yet. I really like how the directors shined both the Republicans and the Democrats in a negative and positive light. Also, I really can't believe that there are people like Kay Anderson out there in the world.

To me there is a large chance that he is legitamently psychotic. But I guess everyone has a right to their own opinion. Which brings me to my thoughts on freedom of speech. I believe everyone has a right to thier own opinion as long as they are not intentionally putting down another person's. They may dispute those opinions with reasons of their own but never intentionally slander it.



When I think of the people out there like Kay Anderson, I automatically think cult. I just can't imagine how someone can be so closed minded. I guess the majority of it has to do with the way they're brought up. For instance, if a child is told all their life that the sky is green by their parents then they're going to defend to the death that it is green. It all has to do with the parents of the children and what they tell them from a young age. That is probably why the majority of the state of Utah is Republican and Mormon. They have never really seen another way of life. Its like Hitler brainwashing the children of Germany.

III. Now that I've brought on the idea of Hitler and Kay Anderson being connected, for this week's question I want to research how Hitler tried tried to brainwash the children of germany. What methods did he use? And how did it all actually work?

Sources:

Aufderbeide, Patricia. (2011). http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/making-your-media-matter/documents/best-practices/honest-truths-documentary-filmakers-ethical-chall

Decker, Marin. (2005. January 28). http://www.desertnews.com/article/600107906/Film-footage-is-disputed.html

(2009). Hitler Youth. http://worldwar2stories-sheffield.com/hitler-youth---league-of-girls.php

No comments:

Post a Comment