Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Journal 2-3: A Donkey's Race

I. In the last journal I wrote, there was a large imphasis on technology, and how the generations that we've lived with have changed over time. I asked the question of where it all really started? I found with my research that the first "computer" was invented by Charles Babbage. His findings of technology having to do with computers were over a long period of time. In 1822, he developed the Difference Engine which was able to compute sets of numbers and make hard copies. Later in 1837, he developed an Analytical Engine which had a memory base.

Another, thing I was wondering about was how Apple came about, or what inspired Steve Jobs to pursue this company? I found out that in 1976, Steve Jobs and his friend Steve Wozniak came out with the Apple I which had a single circuit board hooked up to a computer. Then the Apple Lisa came about in the 1970's which was based on the technology Jobs had experienced with Xerox. The Apple Macitosh came out in 1984 with all new software that became highly popular.


II. A. I can't say I really favor any of the candidates based on their views. If I really had to choose a Republican candidate though, it would be Ron Paul. I like his views on abortion because he believes its wrong, but he doesn't believe it is up to the federal government to decide on the individual's choice. Also I respect his decision to leave gay marriage up to the state, instead of trying to get the federal government involved. One thing I really liked about Ron Paul was his view on America aiding other countries. I agree that America shouldn't be involved with other countries' problems unless they are directly involving the United States itself. And the fact that he wants to eliminate taxes on gas is a huge plus because I pay for all my own gas.

B. The candidate that is least like me on the issues is without a doubt Rick Santorum. The sole fact that he doesn't believe that even same-sex adoption should take place is enough to want to give the guy a piece of my mind. Also, I can't stand the fact that he wants to make this "Santorum Amendment" for our public schools. If the citizens of the United States wanted to learn about God making the earth, they can go to church, but he needs to leave the scientific theory to the classrooms. His views on immigration are also ridiculous. He doesn't want to give in-state tuition to the children of illegal immigrants even though it wasn't their choice for their parents to come over illegally, and in reality they were probably coming over to give their children a better life! Also his enviormental views are absurd. The fact that he can't even respect the idea of global warming but would rather consider it "junk science" is for one being in denial, and also its a slap in the face to all the scientists who have put so much time into trying to fight it. Going along with his enviormental views, he wants to support drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge? That makes no sense what so ever since we're trying to reserve the life of endangered species.


C. I don't believe there is a difference in my answers above. They all run along the same strain of thought. I can't decide if I would vote for someone that has different views from me and would make a good leader. I think it defeats the purpose of having your choice to vote if you don't vote for someone thats going to help get your beliefs out in the open, but I still believe that we need a good leader in America. I would have to say that I wouldn't vote for a candidate that is a good leader but doesn't share the same views because if they're a good leader than they'll be good at pushing views that could completely contradict everything I believe in.


D. Looking at which candidate I think would make a good President based on their leadership skills, I would have to say Buddy Roemer. I learned that he was in the House of Representatives from 1981 to 1988. Also he was a governor for the state of Louisiana in 1988. Just by looking at his history in the government alone, i think he would make the best choice based on leadership qualities.


E. Even though i liked Ron Paul's views on the issues best, I'd have to say based on his past careers, he is not the best choice for president. If his past career was an OBGYN, I don't see that as qualifying to be the president of the United States. It's good that he has some past military background because he was a flight surgeon in the airforce but still that doesn't mean much. It's good that he spent twelve terms in Congress for texas, though, otherwise I couldn't see how he could fit in anywhere.


III. From looking at the candidates that are in the run for the Republican nomination, I honestly don't know what to think. My views stand here:

I'm a leftist libertarian, which actually came as a surprise to me. So for my question this week, I would like to find out more about past libertarians, like Gandhi and Nelson Mandela. What was their inspirations for greatness?





Sources:

(January 2012). When was the first computer invented? http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000984.htm


Bellis, Mary. (January 2012). The History of Apple Computers. http://inventors.about.com/od/cstartinventions/a/Apple_Computers.htm

News, Pace. (2002). The Political Compass Test. http://www.politicalcompass.org/test


No comments:

Post a Comment